Tuesday 15 July 2014

Movie: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi


I love X-Men... need I say more? I don't think so but of course I will...

So many awesome characters, so many awesome actors. We got to see everyone we wanted to see, even if the main X-Men we're used to didn't get that much screen time. I'm a little peeved Anna Paquin got cut to a bare 3 seconds at the end of the film but I'm sure we will see more Rogue in the extras when the DVD is released. Shawn Ashmore as Bobby/Iceman, Daniel Cudmore as Collossus, Booboo Stewart as Warpath, Lucas Till as Havok... and I haven't even brought out the big guns yet!

So the story revolves around Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) of course. I have no idea where Kitty (Ellen Page) got the send-someone-back-in-time power from. Did she have that in the comics? I can't remember... But anyway, she sends Logan back because apparently he's the only one who can handle it. Young Xavier, played by the amazing James McAvoy, is in a bit of a slump after Raven/Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) left him for Erik/Magnito (Michael Fassbender/Ian McKellen).. oh, yeah, and Erik crippled him... So this film is (mostly) set after the events of First Class. Logan has to pull Xavier out of it with the help of Beast (Nicholas Hoult) in order to save both the mutant and human populations from destroying themselves with giant killer robots called Sentinels (seriously, The Matrix again anyone?) designed by antagonist Dr. Trask (Peter Dinklage). Like giant sentient robots are ever a good idea!

Quicksilver was one of the best things about this film. I remember when the trailer came out some people thought he would be lame.. but no, he is awesome! The small part he plays in the film really stuck in my mind and when I watched it recently for the second time, he was just as good. He's played by Evan Peters from American Horror Story who does a fabulous job. Hope we see more of him in the next films. I also thought the meeting of the two Xavier's was excellent, how cool to meet your future self... and who else would be able to kick young Xavier's ass back into gear but older, wiser Xavier (Patrick Stewart)? Stand out performance was definitely James McAvoy.

I'm a little disappointed that Taylor Kitsch's role of Gambit hasn't reappeared. Gambit was always one of my favourite X-Men and the little teaser we got of him in Origins: Wolverine just wasn't enough for me. I would have thought the timeline would be perfect for him too... Bring back Gambit! Also, the reappearance of Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) and Cyclops (James Marsden)! I did a little swoon there but we all knew they were both coming back didn't we? Yes, I watched the cartoons as a kid... And you can't have an X-Men film without Storm (Halle Berry).

I love X-Men. Keep 'em coming. Which X-Men is your favourite? Who do you want to see in the next film? Let me know in the comments!

4 out of 5 Marvels...

No comments:

Post a Comment