Friday 13 December 2013

Movie: Odd Thomas (2013)

Odd Thomas
Mystery, Thriller


You might recognise the name of this film from the series of books written by Dean Koontz and yes this is an adaptation. I haven't read these books yet but they are pretty high up on my list now. I have read quite a lot of other Koontz though and I recognise his story style in the film. He normally writes mysteries with a twist of the fantastical, such as Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin - Star Trek). Odd can see dead people, they never talk but using his "psychic magnetism" he figures out how they died and why they cant't move on.

It's a great little story and it features some new faces and some old. I spotted Arnold Vosloo (The Mummy) who made me chuckle as the one armed ghost looking for a laugh and Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man) as the police chief who tries to make sense of Odd's abilities. Addison Timlin (Californication) plays Odd's lovely girlfriend, Stormy. Their relationship is so cute; they're soul mates, even a fortune teller told them so. I love their banter and Stormy's complete and utter acceptance of Odd's abilities.

I really enjoyed this movie. I've heard there has been a bit of a drama over it actually being released and I'm not sure if they've resolved that yet... maybe it will go straight to DVD. But I definitely recommend it. It's funny and has a great story with some fantastic scenes played out by the two leads. I laughed, I cried and it made me want to read the books and find out what happens next with Odd Thomas. If you see this on the shelf, pick it up!

5 out of 5 I see dead people...

No comments:

Post a Comment