Sunday 1 June 2014

Movies: Mass Post... Part III

Huzzah! Uni is finished for the semester! Well, sorta... I do have exams in a couple of weeks... but in the meantime, blog post! Today is about a few films that left me saying "Huh?" or were just a bit strange...

I have to start with Only Lovers Left Alive because I watched this one the most recently and I'm still thinking about it. It's a vampire movie... but it's not like any vampire movie I've seen before. It's very jaded, and yet it's a love story. Adam (Tom Hiddleston) and Eve (Tilda Swinton) (and yes, I wondered whether they were the Adam and Eve) have been alive (dead?) for many, many years. They have been married several times and although they sometimes live together they are apart at the beginning of the film. Adam is a popular musician who is toying with the idea of putting an end to his eternity while Eve spends time with other vampire friends in Tangier. Then enters Eve's sister, Ava (Mia Wasikowska) who is a total spanner in the works. I loved the conversations between Adam and Eve, their dry, intellectual humour was my favourite bit. The soundtrack was amazing, Hiddleson and Swinton's performances were brilliant. I fell a little bit in love with both of them... Don't expect a conclusion to this story though; it leaves you hanging, wondering what's going to happen next.

If you know someone who has a love affair with their computer then watching Her will make you even more confused. Technology has advanced so far that we are using Artificial Intelligence instead of Operating Systems (like Windows) and the main guy (Joaquin Phoenix) orders a brand new AI (voiced by Scarlett Johansson) who grows and learns as you talk to them and set them tasks. The thing is, this guy falls madly in love with his AI... It's all kinds of weird and sad... until almost suddenly you realise how normal of a relationship it is, which makes it even weirder... I was pretty disturbed by the time the film ended, but I think it was because I'd accepted the relationship between human and AI as normal. The film is long and there is lots of talking. It's pretty mundane really. But the ending still has me thinking about it. Give it a shot. Also featuring Amy Adams (Man of Steel, American Hustle), Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids).

I picked up Sexy Evil Genius because it has some of my favourite cast members ever: Seth Green (Buffy, EntourageMichelle Trachtenberg (Buffy, Gossip Girl), Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Gallactica, Riddick) and Harold Perrineau (Romeo + Juliet, Sons of Anarchy), plus William Baldwin (Backdraft, Forgetting Sarah Marshall)... can't go wrong with a Baldwin right? Ha! It's set in a bar where we are all waiting for our crazy ex-girlfriend Nikki (Sackhoff) to show up and tell us why we're here... That's pretty much it. As we wait, we tell stories of all the crazy things that Nikki used to do and speculate as to why she has called us all together like this. I spent the entire movie wondering what the hell and in the last 10 minutes or so when it's all revealed... I was still wondering what the hell was happening. I would watch this movie again. Such a simple concept. Give it a go.

We might go back to the normal Gee Spot programming from now on cos I just saw the new X-Men and I'm about to watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and they both need full posts, right? There might be a Books mass post sometime too... Anyway, all fun! Stay tuned!

Love Gee
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment